Monday, September 21, 2009

Comics

You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation! By Fletcher Hanks, edited by Paul Karasik. While many of the comic books of the period were being created by assembly-line studio processes, for a couple of years (1939 - 1942) Fletcher Hanks single-handedly created some of the damnedest stories ever drawn. His science-fantasy stories in particular are loaded with bizarre creations unique in all literature. His gelatinous semi-primitive style and unique conceptions, along with the brutal and garish coloring techniques of the time, make this the most artistically inspiring thing I have seen in ages. If I felt I could spare the few dollars, I would certainly buy a copy of my own. I am only reading one or two stories a day so I can keep this library copy as long as possible. The fact that he was personally a truly despicable character only adds to the mystique.

The Discworld Graphic Novels, based on the works of Terry Pratchett. Because his books are so popular I have made a couple of attempts to read one, but never got more than a few pages in before giving up. They seem to me to be Douglas Adams for Lord of the Rings Fans, only lamer. I might have liked it when I was fourteen, or maybe not. In contrast to the book just mentioned, this one was a real chore to get through - originally published in the mid-1990s, the art is slightly above mediocre at times, with lots of those "leering grin with a raised eyebrow" expressions inexplicably popular with young independent cartoonists. The stories and plot elements are a lot of cutesy tripe and "ain't I somethin?" wordplay that makes me want to kick the hell out of that Pratchett guy. I only read this out of a sense of social obligation so I could get some idea of what it is that so many people think is so darn great. It only confirms my feeling of not belonging in this world.