Friday, September 11, 2009

Movies

Les Enfants Terribles (1950) Directed by Jean-Pierre Melville and written by Jean Cocteau. I have the benefit of seeing classic high-art films like this from a viewpoint of complete ignorance of the half-century of critical dissection they have enjoyed. Depicts two young people with no goals or standards, but unlimited resources, in a parasitic and self-destructive relationship. It really captured the closed world of the self-involved, which makes trivial events into huge dramas, and dramatic events trivial. If I had seen this when I was 19, I might have made it into some sort of twisted model for my life, but seeing it now it seems more a tragedy of a childhood excessively prolonged. Symbolic rather than realistic, an opera without the singing. Not the sort of thing you see for fun, but it seems to do one a certain amount of good. 9/10 for style and intellectualism.