Saturday, September 26, 2009

Movies

The Devil Wears Prada (2006) A movie about the fashion publishing industry, than which there is hardly a more alien thing to me in all the world. I chose this because it was very popular and I sometimes like to watch movies that normal people like. For the first half hour I was just seeing how much I could take, and how awful it would get. Then Stanley Tucci (one of the most reliable actors who ever lived) delivered his monologue which flipped everything over and it became slightly less intolerable. I then occupied myself with anticipating and analyzing formulaic plot developments. Then she runs into that guy again, then the boss shows she is human for two minutes, then she starts to wonder who she really is and what happened to the person she used to be as she walks alone in the night, then there is a big surprise, etc. Eventually, by the end of the movie, I guess it had killed enough of my brain cells that I actually started liking it. All the acting was good, even though it was just a cartoon with people instead of drawings. Strangely, I hardly saw any clothes I really liked. This would be a pretty demanding date movie, more of a ladies' night thing. Donna seemed to like it slightly less than I did. Lots of bright colors and moving shapes. 4.5/10

It should be noted for the record that I still do not know, or care, what "Prada" is.