Saturday, November 7, 2009

Movies

War of the Planets (1977) Donna wanted to see a '70s SF movie and chose this from our collection. One of the better Al Bradley (Alberto Breschia) movies, which isn't saying a lot. This makes four times I have seen it and I still can't tell what's going on at some points. Unrateable.

The Gnome-mobile (1967) I was recently reminded that I had never seen this. My sister was friends with the daughter of the owner of our town's only theater (Skyline, Canon City Colorado), who believed that this film would destroy the theater's credibility and bring about its end. It doesn't seem to have done so, as it is still in business. There is some fairly entertaining stuff in this, and Walter Brennan's double role gives him the opportunity to do more screaming than he probably ever did outside The Real McCoys. Enjoyable obliteration of a Cadillac limousine with Richard Deacon aboard, and cameos by Alvy Moore, Sam Cady and Ellen Corby. Classifiable as "irritainment" for adults but I'm sure it's a lot of fun for kids, with all the chasing around and shouting. 6/10