Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Movies

Inspecteur Lavardin (1986) Jean Poiret returns in this follow-up to Poulet au vinaigre as the morally expedient Lavardin. There seem to be no good guys, nobody purely admirable in a Chabrol film. This is a complex and entertaining story of crime and detection, admirably executed. 9/10

I tried to watch The Boss of it All, knowing that a Lars von Trier film is a crapshoot but willing to give it a try since it professed to be a comedy. Apparently he thought it would be funny to shoot all the dialog three or four times with the camera in different locations, and then cut each line in from a different shot. After 11 minutes of being whacked on the head every few seconds with "Look how cute I can be," I said to hell with this crap and this is the last thing by that guy I will ever waste my time on. Instead I watched something that wasn't designed to continually distract you from the story:

The Private Life of Don Juan (1934) Douglas Fairbanks' last film, as a man who can no longer live up to his legend. Huge sets and absurdly elaborate costumes, just a lot of fluff. Nothing to write home about but I'd rather just have fun watching something kind of silly than be tortured by "art." 6/10