Sunday, January 31, 2010

Movies

This makes three movies I watched today - I really whoop it up when the Mrs. is away.

Man of the World (1931) I got this set of five Carole Lombard movies from the library in the hope of cracking the Lombard enigma. I have seen her most famous films and found her strangely unappealing. William Powell is an American scoundrel in Paris, Lombard is the sweet girl who makes him rue his evil ways. I can already see more interest and appeal to her here than I have ever seen before. Powell is always great, and this was before the Hollywood Ending was made mandatory so things don't always go they way you think they might. Wonderful gowns. 7/10

The Princess and the Warrior (2000) Directed by Tom Tykwer (Run, Lola, Run; Perfume) A long, complex, emotionally intense romantic adventure. You can't even guess what is going to happen next in this unique story. I found it very easy to connect with the characters and felt like I had been put through the wringer when it was finally over but it was rewarding. A very good film for intelligent adults. Filmed in Wuppertal, home of the world's oldest monorail. 8/10