Monday, March 22, 2010

Movies

I haven't been keeping up with my viewing here lately because I've been spending more time reading tutorials and manuals online so I just get kind of tired of words on a screen, but I will try to catch up here. I got a set of Golden Age of Televison live broadcasts because Donna wanted to see the original version of Marty, which we watched, and we also watched The Comedian starring Mickey Rooney and Edmond O'Brien. They were interesting to see, and very impressive in their execution, but didn't leave us thirsting for more so I returned it to the library. Donna like Marty more than I did.

We also watched Night and the City (1950) - another of Jules Dassin's unique stories. Richard Widmark is a frenzied two-bit hustler who thinks he's finally found his big thing. All-around excellent production and well worth seeing. 9/10

On my own I have seen:

Los Cronocrimenes (Timecrimes) 2007 - a tense, complicated and jarring time travel thriller. More of a feel-bad movie than I usually care for but well presented and thought out. I sure wouldn't do what that guy did - listen, if you start jumping back in time don't go trying to "fix" things. That's where they always go wrong. 7/10

Moon Zero Two (1969) Hammer studios' space crime adventure. I saw part of it on TV when I was a teenager and now I have finally seen it all. Lots of nightclub scenes which to me are vital to any SF film. Full-size moon buses on huge soundstage sets, entertaining and thoughtful set and costume design, adequate acting and story. Don't kill yourself trying to see it, but it's okay for a slow evening. 6/10

Also been watching a lot of old Russian cartoons because they do a lot of cutout animation, as well as trying to find extremely crude and simple animation to see just how little one can get away with for character movement without becoming too boring to watch - Mel-O-Toons are right on the border, Mr. Piper cartoons and Clutch Cargo/Captain Fathom are way over the line. That's what all the online study has been for - learning animation.