Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Movies

Up in the World (1956) British comedy starring Norman Wisdom as the proletarian oddball whose bizarre errors cost him jobs, who enrages his superiors, makes a huge ass of himself, skewers the foibles of the rich, sings a song on a ferris wheel and inevitably marries the cute girl. The exact analogue of Mexico's Cantinflas. Donna stuck with it longer than I expected but I did warn her. It was surprisingly funny at first, before the plot started, then settled down into schtick and formula. The most surprising thing was that I found it on the Russian shelf at the library - with my ability to sound out cyrillic and knowledge of where they put the subtitle information on the back I would have gotten it anyway just to see what it was, it looked kind of crazy, but when I saw it was Norman Wisdom I realized it was a Russian release of a British film - dubbed in Russian with the English soundtrack as second option. Anyway, it was one of that kind of movie, with the goofy guy creating chaos but saving the day and it ends with a wedding. Oh, and there's a nightclub scene, always a plus! Gotta have a nightclub scene. 6/10