Friday, April 23, 2010

I DON'T LIKE EATING

I don't like eating. It's a chore and a nuisance to me and one of my main goals in cooking is to come up with food that provides the maximum nourishment with the minumum amount of eating. If I could have the food pills of old time Science Fiction, or simply not have to eat at all, that would be fine with me. I resent being a slave to an unthinking organism that always wants to chew or drink something, and requires hours out of the day for the refueling process. I don't like restaurants, because they are meant for people who like to eat, and want some kind of elaborate dining experience with lots of intense flavors and sensations. As an hyperaesthete, intense flavors are unpleasant to me and I like my food to be plain and simple. If I must dine out because of a social obligation I would rather eat something more like what I like than something I don't like, all kinds of crazy flavors and weird ingredients. I don't get to do that very often because everyone else wants something exotic or "interesting" to stuff in their mouths while they are jabbering at each other. I don't like to eat with other people either, and don't consider it the sort of thing that requires a group activity any more than gassing up the car or brushing my teeth - it's a matter of obligatory maintenance to me, not something to be celebrated. I also dislike dining out because having to pay ten dollars for breakfast or twenty dollars for dinner and waste two hours doing it when I don't even enjoy it in the first place seems foolish and wasteful since I can make myself a healthy meal at home for fifty cents and get it over with in about five minutes. I didn't just now start feeling this way - I have been like this for a long time, and I have been telling people these things for a long time and for some reason it doesn't seem to sink in. I am posting this for future reference so I can just direct people to it instead of having to continue to say the same things over and over again as I have for years, often to the very same people. Here it is as simply as possible, one more time:

I don't like eating.
I don't like dining out.
If I have to dine out I would rather eat inexpensive plain food - I am not interested in having a dining experience.
I would rather not dine out at all if I can possibly avoid it, and if I never had to eat again that would be great.