Monday, June 28, 2010

Movies


Old Master Q 2001 (2001) Based on a long-running Chinese gag comic strip, this is a semi-live-action treatment with the main characters in 3DCG - an absurd concept but it works well enough that one's mind soon ceases to revolt at the idea and accepts it as the norm. I first learned of Master Q through my habit of grabbing the weirdest looking things off the library video shelf, though in this case it was a semi-primitive cel animated film from the 1970s inexplicably titled Older Master Cute. The official website of Old Master Q comics is here. I like how they are almost funny, similar to my all-time favorite newspaper strip Henry. In this film the plot is, not unexpectedly, utterly irrelevant - an excuse for a lot of chasing around. The musical number was actually painful. I see these things so you don't have to. 4/10

Master Q and Potato explaining to a policeman.

No comments: