Sunday, July 11, 2010

Movies

I See Ice (1938) George Formby invents a bow-tie camera that gets him involved with ice skaters, and eventually puts him in the middle of a hockey game with his head stuck in the back of the net and pucks striking him repeatedly on the butt. There are certain misunderstandings that cause him to be chased around, and he also sings a few songs. 5/10

Chungking Express (1994) A pair of loosely linked stories about romantic relationships is the last thing I would normally want to see, but this was made in China, mostly at night or in street markets. Interesting characters and events as well as the details of daily life that I enjoy learning about - just seeing what normal people's apartments look like in China is fascinating to me. It looked like it was all shot on location, not on sets. One guy has a pedestrian slidewalk right outside his window and people are moving slowly by behind frosted glass all day. Friend Jim Cser showed me this on his Hi Def Blu Ray machine, and my eyes freaked out at first from all the defs and rays and things but I got used to it pretty rapidly. I know I would enjoy the movie as much on our old TV. 8/10

No comments: