Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Movies

Poligamy (2009) Hungarian romantic fantasy: an aspiring screenwriter who finds the prospect of parenthood and marriage with his long-time girlfriend oppressive, wakes up in a redecorated apartment with a strange woman, and he is the only one who notices anything different. This happens every day until he learns his lesson. I picked this because I like to try to see something relatively normal from other countries, and I thought it would be something Donna and I could watch together. What I always forget is that, being of a melancholic temperament, I choose things I think will make me feel better, while she - sanguine or choleric or whatever - prefers things that tend to make me feel worse; disturbing unsettling things with no clear resolution that just leave me wishing I had stayed in bed. So I thought this was cute and pleasant, a good window into an idealized daily life in modern Budapest; she seemed to think it was too light, and lacking in substance. Sometimes things are just for fun, to find some pleasure and enjoyment in life. 7/10

No comments: