Saturday, August 28, 2010

Movies

De Noorderlingen (1992) Quirky Dutch film. Like many Quirky films there is a neutral character (in this case a child) who acts as observer of the peculiarities of an isolated community. In this case the community consists of one finished block of modern housing in the middle of nowhere, a fragment of a discontinued housing project. Bizarre, unfortunate and tragic events occur in strange circumstances and environments. Then it ends. If you like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing you will like. Kept my interest. 5/10

The Hour-Glass Sanatorium (1973) Quirky Polish film. My friend Tim Maloney sent me this because it most adequately simulates a dream. I agree - it is the most perfectly dreamlike of any film I have yet seen. As such there was no need to try to follow what was happening, and I felt I could wake up at any time, so after about an hour and a half I did. I think you could put this on loop and not even notice. Good if you like this kind of movie. Didn't keep my interest but was intriguing to see. 5/10

No comments: