Thursday, October 21, 2010

Abbott and Costello Project Suspended

I have decided to end my effort to watch all the Abbott and Costello movies ever made, because the last four are just SO LOUSY that I absolutely cannot sit through them. I'm keeping them around for a while in case I suddenly have a head injury which will make them viewable. To replace this project I am doing something perhaps even more insane, watching all of the Joe Besser "Three" Stooges shorts. I started with the last few Shemps, three of which were partially filmed at the time of his sudden demise and crudely cobbled together with doubles hiding their faces behind things, and lines like "I sure hope Shemp brings back something good to eat!" It must have been rough having to finish those up with the guy dead like that. Anyway, I find I am one of the few people on earth who actually like the Joe Besser films. He himself considered them "The Stooges with Joe Besser" rather than actual Three Stooges shorts. I like them, because they are bizarre, nonsensical, and quite crudely made.