Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Movies

Messalina vs. the Son of Hercules (1964) One of a whole bunch of similar movies dubbed and repackaged for the anglophone market with a Sons of Hercules theme song, this was directed by Umberto Lenzi who according to my theory got so sick of filming battle scenes with no blood at all that he spent the rest of his career making the grisliest and most appalling stuff he possibly could. Lisa Gastoni as Messalina is always good to look at but this was formulaic and tedious tripe, which I watched just to rest my brain a little. 3/10

Lisa Gastoni as Messalina. Historical interest.
The Crowd Roars (1932) Jimmy Cagney is a race car driver who loses his nerve when he causes his chum Frank McHugh to be horribly burned alive in a terrible accident. Will he get it back in time to win the Indianapolis 500 or not? A racing movie from back when they didn't even have seatbelts - pretty terrible to see at times. I don't care much for racing movies really but I will watch anything pre-war with Joan Blondell in it. Anything. 5/10

Did you say ANYTHING??
Yes, I did.

No comments: