Sunday, March 27, 2011

Letter to a friend

Dear Xxxx;

I live in the Kooks Museum. I have studied kooks, cranks, cults and conspiracies for decades and know that though the content may vary, the form remains the same. I know how exciting it is to find a conspiracy theory you can really get your teeth into and be a big expert on and know all the elaborate details that make you the one who knows, and anyone who disagrees is pitiably ignorant of the important facts of this thing, which in reality has nothing to do with any of us and is really just a lot of people quoting people quoting people who read something somewhere, who have absolutely no direct personal knowledge or experience of the thing and would not be negatively effected if they woke up the next day and all knowledge of the subject was wiped from their minds. It's always interesting, but kind of sad, to see someone I like get swallowed up in one of these things, but luckily this is the kind of topic that will blow over in a few months. I knew a guy who suddenly became a Money Crank, boring the living hell out of everyone around him by constantly babbling about monetary theory, capitalism, inflation and the shocking Federal Reserve fraud. My acquaintanceship with him ended because I wrote to him as openly and honestly as I am to you, that I was glad he found something he really enjoyed, but sorry to see him making such a damn fool of himself. That's the same thing I am saying to you now, and if you need to defriend me over it, that will be a shame. I think you are a really nice guy and I always enjoyed reading what you had to say about things until you went off on this idiotic bullshit. I hope you work your way through it soon and get back to being funny and interesting instead of self-righteous and pedantic on this incredibly uninteresting and irrelevant crap.

No comments: