Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Movies

Bunraku (2010) I didn't realize when I "obtained" this that it hadn't been released to US theaters yet.  I have some standards about downloading and tend not to go for certain things as a matter of principle.  I had a vague idea this was not going to get a US theatrical release and thought this was the only way I could see it. Sorry.  Watched it anyway.  This extremely imaginative, lively and colorful fantasy never sets foot in reality for a moment, which is something I really appreciate in a movie.  You're going to have to build sets for everything anyway so why not make them the craziest sets you can, and light the hell out of them and stick greenscreens behind them to fill the background with pure art instead of just a picture of something you can see by looking out the window.  That said, it is all pretty much fight scenes tied together with a string of genre cliches.  I need more from a story than that.  It was fun to see but I would have liked it more if there had been an actual plot or some kind of relational contrivance beyond these guys have to fight those guys. Or some songs would have been cool, to go with the imaginative choreography that was already there. So, 6/10 for me.  If you like that fighty stuff go see it if you can.

No comments: