Sunday, October 9, 2011

SUNDAY WEBCOMIC

I have been getting comments from cartoonists whose work I featured in recent editions of SUNDAY WEBCOMIC.  Their confusion as to my intentions is understandable, as I am not always certain of them myself.  All I will say is that the purpose of SUNDAY WEBCOMIC is to present works which are uniquely creative in unexpected ways.  To the artists, I say - you are doing a webcomic and I am not, so that automatically puts you a cut above me.

There are a number of features I look for in a SUNDAY WEBCOMIC which can't be found in any other medium.  I love apology pages, where they write a long explanation for why there is no strip.  I love it when there is an explanation of the strip which takes longer to read than it does to read the actual comic.  When browsing webcomic lists I check out the ones that are discontinued or on hiatus because they often end with an apology, an explanation, or a promise that the strip positively will continue, that they will absolutely be back better than ever before you know it, and then I see it's dated May 2008.

The cartoonist who created Unlimited Evil integrated the abrupt end of the strip in a very pleasing way, and the artistic technique of the entire production is a great combination of scratchy original artwork and flashy digital processing that unites opposite ends of the quality scale.

The perpetrator of Childproof Epsilon also stays "in character" in the final strip, presenting it in exactly the same way as all the preceding work.  This strip is an exceptionally impressive solution to the problem of being unable to draw a comic strip, by having absolutely no artwork at all, ever.  I enjoy the tautological echo effect of having the same text repeated as a list under each strip, and the self-referential beginning strips which are about doing a comic with no artwork.  The only thing it doesn't do is come out and say it is an Online Webcomic in the title.

So there you have it.  Another one done.

No comments: