Friday, January 6, 2012

MIRROR 001

Believe it or not I think seriously about Art sometimes.  I try to look at things most people aren't looking at and figure out ways of addressing them in the context of  "fine art."  I usually end up examining things which are discarded and discounted and try to depict them with the same care another artist might lavish on a mountain stream or a vase of flowers.  It seems that a new generation of young women now have the ability to photograph themselves naked in the bathroom mirror.  I find this appealing for the obvious reason, as well as the fact that it chronicles an intimate environment you rarely see - another person's bathroom with the junk on the counter and the shampoo bottles on the edge of the tub.  It is valuable also for the ways the women choose to depict themselves, the angle of the shot, what is shown and in what way, and the recursive element of it sometimes being a picture of a person looking at a picture of herself taking a picture of herself.  I like to take all those things and run them through my own filter and see if I can make a picture that has genuine artistic value.

No comments: