Friday, May 4, 2012

FRANKENSTEIN THE CART PAYS FOR ITSELF

I recently noticed that some folks about 7 blocks from here had taken down a section of fence so last evening I offered to take it away.  This morning I took the end board off of Frankenstein the Cart and trundled it over there.  IMPORTANT DESIGN NOTE: Handles - the longer the better.  These are too short.  You need to be able to push the empty cart with your arms hanging straight down, with enough room for your legs to swing.  This is about 45 6-foot cedar fence boards, a bit rotted at one end, six 8-foot treated 2x4 stringers, and two  4x4 posts which rotted off at about 6 feet.  It was actually easier to handle while loaded as it balanced on the wheels and all I had to do was shove and keep it balanced, but I had to rest at the end of every block.  I hope this is the heaviest load I will ever have to haul with this cart.

 This is where they will go - in the back corner of the yard.  There is a chain link fence with inserted lath and a hedge, but it is always pretty shady in that corner and I don't think the hedge will ever really fill in back there.  When you sit at the breakfast table looking out the sliding glass doors you can see cars go by on the next street.  I want to be able to eat my meal and not be distracted by a kid in a red shirt riding a bike a block away, and just see the birds hopping and pecking, and squirrels chasing each other around.
The fence boards don't have to hold themselves up, because they will be between the existing fence and the hedge, so my plan at this point is to rig the 2x4 stringers up on the chain link fence with heavy duty zip ties just to hold them in place, and attach the fence boards with screws.  As long as it provides a visual barrier its job is done.

No comments: