Thursday, May 13, 2010

Movies

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978) This is a perfect example of an idea so incredibly stupid that it goes all the way around the circle and becomes insanely brilliant. So stupid at times that I was howling with glee. So brilliant at times that I was dumbfounded. Some of the most atrocious and some of the finest renditions of Beatles songs I have ever witnessed somehow balance each other out. George Burns' version of Fixing a Hole is the exact antithesis of Aerosmith's version of Come Together, both equally amazing but in opposite ways. Frankie Howerd's version of When I'm 64 is unique in all creation. Plus - a hot air balloon chase, a roller-skating pantomime horse, and a wheelbarrow full of money; any one of which is necessary for true cinematic excellence, all in one movie. There is no connection between this movie and reality and that is what I like. Thanks to Liz Bass for suggesting this unforgettable pleasure/pain. 8/10