Sunday, May 9, 2010

Movies

Can't Stop the Music (1980) The Village People's faux Origin Story. My friend Seth uses this movie to torture people with, but has never actually watched it all. I wanted to prove what a macho hotshot I am by sitting through the whole thing, and believe me it was a challenge. I had to do it in pieces over a few days. It's amazing to see a whole movie with not one moment of acting in it. This is an exercise in masochism. Steve Guttenberg as the composer and "inventor" of the Village People is sheer agony to watch - a dopey puppy in human form, with a constant goofball glee and astonishment at everything, punctuated by occasional moments of feebly feigned sorrow at minor setbacks. On the whole I have never seen so much poorly faked enthusiasm from so many non-actors. The Construction Worker's solo performance of Love You To Death pushes the pain factor to the absolute limit, but the rest of the movie is like a continuous beating with a telephone directory - one dull thud after another. The worst part of all is when there are jokes and people being funny. Ghastly and horrendous to see - worst thing I have experienced since Supertrain. My next target: Spice World! 2/10