Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Movies

Cyber Ninja (1988) Sometimes I just need to see something really ridiculous. Nutty pre-CG CyberSteamurai absurdity. Anything that looks old, stick some pipes and electronics on it. Giant machines, stick a tile roof on it. Completely goofy and deranged. Gets to be a little Turbo-Rangery in the fight scenes at times but plenty of joyful guffaws at the wild concepts. The opening battle scene between the mechanical Baba Yaga huts and the tank-treaded stone walls with cannons sticking through them sets the tone. I am already running out of adjectives to describe how screwy it is. There's one robot-ninja with a fox-masked sowbug for a head and one with a sort of extending miniature lion mask that blasts a blue storm, and automated ceiling guns that shoot an alphabet ribbon of death. I really liked how some scenes combined models, matte paintings and animated overlays of rays and things. 9/10

2 comments:

ClintJCL said...

That certainly sounds interesting.

nenslo said...

I'm putting that comment up to show why I didn't allow comments on any of my blogs for years. OF COURSE it sounds interesting! That's why I wrote it and put it on my blog. That's why you are reading my blog and I am not reading yours!