Monday, September 27, 2010

Movies

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009) I laughed all the way through this weird witty story about military efforts to develop an army of psychic warriors, and was strangely inspired by the brief documentary interviewing some of the participants in the actual events on which it was based. I appreciated the way the main character's voiceover comments were mostly lame pop culture comparisons, exposing his impoverished mental landscape. I'd watch George Clooney in almost anything, even a Coen Brothers film - he is a master of deadpan comedy, having the ability to say and do the most absurd things with a straight face. This movie was Donna's choice and it was a good one. 8/10

The Abbott and Costello project continues with Comin' Round the Mountain (1951), a hillbilly farce which I seem to have seen at a holiday kiddie matinee in Honolulu Hawaii in 1962 or 63 - I could only ever remember one scene from that movie and recognised it in this. It also marks my earliest exposure to the acting talents of Robert Easton. For a cartoonish hillbilly film it is surprisingly good - I had always avoided it when it came on television because of a natural dislike for the hillbilly motif. Lou finds he is heir to the honor and hidden treasure of a hillbilly clan. I was very surprised at how interesting and entertaining I found it despite the novelty stylings of Dorothy Shay the Park Avenue Hillbilly. The boys are stars of their own film, looking a bit distinguished at this point, and carry it off well, with Lou showing a surprise talent for percussion. Lost In Alaska (1952) is another story, and a poor one. As supporting characters to Tom Ewell in a weak aimless treasure plot, their roles could have been taken by any other comedy duo, and should have been. Got quite uninteresting so I skimmed through the second half just to see if they ever did anything characteristic or interesting. They didn't.

No comments: