Sunday, May 15, 2011

SUNDAY WEBCOMIC archive

Early in 2011 I had the genius idea of beginning a weekly Facebook feature on the most remarkable webcomic I could find. I will be continuing the tradition here, beginning with this archive post.

The daddy of 'em all - STRIPY SIX. The most important quality Stripy Six has is sincerity. This is what drives a person to create, and to transcend their limitations.

Feb. 13, Haien Heights.
"My webcomic pick for the day. I like how the pages are so gigantic it takes forever to load. In later episodes a lot of the creative burden is eased by having panels of nothing but dialog balloons in different colors to indicate different speakers."

Feb. 20, the first inkling of an official WEBCOMIC SUNDAY - Buck the Comic.
"Sunday is webcomic day. This is my pick for the week. What I like is how it has this big disclaimer page about how potentially offensive it is, and the comics are just gags that mostly rely on you recognizing the name of a celebrity, or having seen some commercial on TV."

Feb. 27, Carpe Diem. I admit I hadn't really hit the pure formula for the SUNDAY WEBCOMIC.
"I usually share webcomics which are just horrifically executed. I am sharing this one because it is so well drawn - and it is about gay musclemen with animal heads. I don't mind seeing musclemen making out (in fact I kind of like that) or weeping over their mother's graves, but when they have animal heads it just creeps me the hell out."

March 6, WEBCOMIC SUNDAY truly begins with Butt Flap Comics.
"It's webcomic Sunday. This doesn't seem so bad at first but if you keep reading they really start to get to you. Look for the 'vintage guest comics' by another artist."

March 13 - a watershed moment, the first full capitalization of the words SUNDAY and WEBCOMICS, immortalized along with A Cannonade of Hogwash.
"It's SUNDAY WEBCOMICS TIME! You have to read all 260 of these. I know this guy is trying to be 'ironic' but I don't think he's quite making it."

March 20 - Effy.
"It's SUNDAY WEBCOMICS time! Today's comic puts the Eff in WTF. The good news is... there are only three pages of it!" As of this writing there are considerably more than three pages, but they have not lost their power to amaze.

"It's SUNDAY WEBCOMICS TIME!!! What makes this 3DCG scifi comic a real standout is not how sorta weird it looks, or how many many pages there are and there really are a lot, but how difficult it is to find a page on which anything is happening other than people talking and talking and talking and talking."

"It's SUNDAY WEBCOMIC TIME!!! Produced up to three times a week for over four years, resulting in hundreds of pages, this comic developed a stylistic formality which reached perfection as it petered out in one last strip. Gaze upon it in wonder, then start tracking back toward the beginning."

"It's the low point of anyone's week - SUNDAY WEBCOMIC TIME!!! Sometimes I have to choose comics that transcend their basic non-good-ness and become strangely great in some way. NOT TODAY. This is the Murphy's Law of comics." This continues to be produced, and has become even less readable. Most recent pages don't even seem to have any lettering, just insanely huge scans of scribbly penciling.

"You wouldn't believe how much mediocre drivel I had to sift through before I grudgingly settled on this unique solution to the problem of wanting to be a cartoonist without knowing how to draw. Over 150 pages of this SUNDAY WEBCOMIC to choose from."

April 24 - Okay! Fish.
"Guess what! Another SUNDAY WEBCOMIC!! I often see things that make me say, 'Yes, I can see why that is supposed to be funny.' Like this SUNDAY WEBCOMIC. You can see why it is supposed to be funny. Be sure to look for the secondary supporting punchline below each cartoon, which you can also see is supposed to be funny."

May 1 - NO SUNDAY WEBCOMIC. I must have spent three hours searching for something truly amazing and that was way too much.

May 8 - Just One Hat.
"Heavens be praised, a new SUNDAY WEBCOMIC! Just One Hat. Get it?"

"Presenting the winner of the SUNDAY WEBCOMICS Lifetime Achievement Award! Nine years in the drawing, 2080 strips - each with accompanying descriptive paragraph giving deep insight into the creative process. This is the War and Peace meets Gravity's Rainbow of comics. See how many you can read before your brain chokes up or try changing the page number in the URL for a random selection."

And now I am up to date.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I draw A Cannonade of Hogwash.
Foremost, I'd like to thank the hell out of you for reviewing and linking to it.
Second, I'd like to point out that A Cannonade of Hogwash is now at http://cannonadeofhogwash.thecomicseries.com/ and updates there rather than on Smackjeeves.
Then I'd like to thank you again. Seriously, thanks.