Thursday, June 9, 2011

PORCH PROJECT - preliminary

Today's work - the insanely overengineered sawhorses I have always wanted. Not as elegant as the Naked/Weavers design on which it is based, but very very strong and sturdy. I settled for wobbly metal-bracket sawhorses for years and have had enough. You could do a go-go dance on these, or put a door across and ride a unicycle on it.

Below is the front porch (looking north) with the lower boards pulled off revealing the idiotic cinder-block structure supporting the flooring.

Here is the west end of the porch showing a fragment of the original wooden structure. It probably rotted away and was replaced by the stupid cinder block mess, I assume because they got a bunch of cinder blocks for free so they didn't have to do it right. I stuck some spare bricks in the bigger holes just to keep the cats out. The next step is to strip away the siding and prepare for propping the roof to replace the uprights with 8' treated 4x4s.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I don't know if you know this, but I can ride a unicycle, and intend to test your sawhorses next time I'm there.

I greatly admire your craftsmanship in both graphics and actual execution in the real world of...stuff. Your house is painted more beautifully inside and out than 99% of the world that I have noted.