Monday, June 13, 2011

PORCH PROJECT - second and third pillars replaced

Today's work was easier since I had a better idea of what I was doing and what to expect. Here are my basic tools for this entire project. A corded drill for pre-drilling and driving screws, and a very inexpensive rechargeable one for light work. A full-length Stanley hand saw from a thrift store which I sharpened myself - power saws may be faster and more accurate but those are not necessities to me. Using and maintaining a hand saw makes me stronger and healthier. That crazy orange plastic speed square came from the dollar store, and though it isn't perfectly square it is great for the type of rough work this job requires. I mark my cuts with a fat tipped sharpie so I maintain a certain amount of leeway. I operate on the principle that this house was built with hand tools and I can do at least as well by working in the same way. I also used an electric sabre saw to cut away the floor boards where necessary. I don't have a good keyhole saw or I would have done that manually too.
Replacing the central support was a piece of cake. I propped up the end pillar to make sure it wouldn't go anywhere and cut the railing just to the right of where the jack and prop went in, and the majority of the railing and the central pillar came right out. When it came time to clear away the corner for the third pillar I found it necessary to tear the step away so I could cut out the end of an ancient piece of wood which you can see right next to the cinder block at the end of the porch. That was the only difficult part of the day's work.
Here it all is, cleaned up. The pillars went in so easily I couldn't believe it and the roof structure is probably more stable now than it has been for ages. I started around 10:30 and ended at 2 p.m. The porch is officially closed to anyone but me and I installed a new keyed door knob on the side door which you get to by going past the tall green shrub to the right of the porch. The next step is disassembling the porch floor.
The brick standing at the base of the right hand pillar is the one on which the full weight of that corner of the porch rested for decades. It will be put in a place of honor.

No comments: