Friday, July 29, 2011

PORCH PROJECT - final report


Today I restored the third pillar. I also took off the new steps I added to the west end so I could build this frame for the access opening. Then I took the stairs apart and rebuilt them using metal brackets and, although they still came out a little wacky, I am much more satisfied with their structural integrity. Basically if you fall down those steps it is your fault, not the steps. I will keep an eye on them and see how they hold up. I can remove them by taking out four screws, so if I need to work on them again in the future it will not be much of a problem.

All that is left is a little detail work and a final once-over with paint. It won't look much different from this.

There is not a huge difference between the current state and the way it looked when this non-summer google picture was taken. Which was my plan all along. Make it the same only better.

At least I don't feel it weighing on me as much now that it is visually unified, and the plumbing situation has eased off from impending doom status so I feel I can just relax all day tomorrow and take a shot at it on Sunday. It's not the kind of thing that makes for good blogging so I will not be reporting on it, but I do have a poorly-built leaky amateur skylight in my studio I need to fill in before the rains start up again and roof stuff is pretty exciting so we have that to look forward to. I will keep you posted.

No comments: