Tuesday, August 23, 2011

SKYLIGHT REMOVAL - The End

Too tired to do anything but post this picture of the finished roof. I need to go up again tomorrow morning and put in the replacement for the support block, which Barron kindly cut for me to match the original, and to clean out the gutter. I decided to buy a couple of tubes of roofing cement and use a caulking gun to squirt a line of black goo along under the lower edge of each tab so if we do get a good wind there will be less likelihood of it getting under and ripping them off. I also found that bare feet are much better than shoes for roofing, but next time I may try a pair of cheap "water socks," flexible shoe thingies with a grippy rubber sole.
As for the investigative aspect of the project, I found that the cost came out to about the same as using pre-cut shingles would be. I spent about $30 more total for roll roofing than I would for shingles, but have half a roll left. This house will have to be re-roofed before I die unless I die in the next year or so, in which case it is not my problem. If I do it within two years the shingles will still be in good enough shape I can just put the new ones over them. If I wait much more than that, they will get warped and curly enough that they will have to be stripped off and replaced, which would just about triple the work involved. It takes about an hour and a half to cut a whole roll of roofing into these two tab hex shingles, which covers about 50 - 60 square feet. I will see how this holds up over the winter and if it doesn't suffer any major failure I will probably use this technique in the future. About half of the roof is not visible from the street so I would use uncut roll roofing, but for the visible areas I would like to do something interesting and I think a two or three color treatment of this would be pretty cool.