Saturday, August 20, 2011

SKYLIGHT REMOVAL PART TWO

Yesterday I pried the skylight off and lowered it inside. It was stuck down with a whole lot of transparent silicon adhesive and a whole lot of caulking that I had put on to try to keep it from leaking. The adhesive along the upper edge was entirely covered with roofing grit that had washed in over the years.

Better replace this doohickey while I am at it. The rubber seal is split and will let water in.
This is the edge of the hole as seen from inside. The outer layer is sheathing plywood on top of the old horizontal boards the original wooden shingles were nailed to. The thin innermost layer is a decorative application of thin cedar which must have been really expensive. Behind that is a surprise - the sloping ceiling is covered with horizontal tongue-in-groove boards, the original early 1900s building technique. The room below also has a couple of walls of this. The opposite side of the room had been re-done with sheetrock and I had assumed I would find that under the cedar. I would then fill in the hole with a scrap of sheetrock and paint it all. I will figure out something else now.

Open to the world. The cedar is attractive, but a white ceiling would be a lot better.

Seen from outside - I have put 2x2 around the edge to screw the patch onto.

The patch ready to go, cut to fit. Thanks to Barron for this scrap and for cutting it to size for me. I pre-drilled and stuck screws in, and pulled it up from the outside, laid it in place and drove the screws in with my cordless drill. I was too tired to take a thrilling picture of the patched hole for you. I have about four good hours of work in me per day, plus another hour of not so good work, and the roof at 2 p.m. is not a good place for me to be, with half a headache and the sun beating down. Next comes re-roofing.

No comments: