Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Movies

Sextette (1978) Mae West crawled out of her grave for this unmusical musical unfunny comedy. I swear I thought my face was going to freeze forever in a grimace of painful horror from seeing that scary old grandma hobbling around, croaking vile lewd one-liners. The songs were uniformly as deranged and ghastly as the very worst songs in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, which is as bad as a cover of a song in a movie can possibly be. It was absolutely nightmarish and agonizing. It's not as bad as the Village People movie Can't Stop the Music, but that is the ONLY MOVIE EVER MADE that it is not as bad as. Rating: NEGATIVE INFINITY MINUS ONE. That's just one short of negative infinity, and the second worst rating any movie could ever have.

On the other hand:
I had read the first volume of the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) comics a couple of years ago and the only difference I could see between it and all the other dozens and dozens of independent comics I have read about the relationship problems of an unemployed hipgeek in a rock band was that it was cartoony fiction instead of painful and embarrassing autobiography like all the rest. So when this movie came out I just ignored it. However, this is the month I am trying to get caught up on some of last year's more interesting seeming movies and I was completely unprepared for how extremely witty, inventive, well-written and well-made this was. Jam-packed with imaginative gimmickry, sharp dialogue, sweet cute romance and hugely farcical action, it is only the somewhat excessive and tiring final spectacle which keeps me from giving it a 10. But it is the kind of movie that makes you feel cool just to be watching it, so it's 9/10.

No comments: