Friday, July 8, 2011

PORCH PROJECT - rail framing and scrap to the dump

Yesterday I got the framing for the porch rail done. It was just a lot of cutting things to length and screwing them together, with only a few errors to complicate things. Here's what it looks like. The good thing was, I had to return some bolts and brackets I overbought at the beginning of the work and the lumber I bought for the framing and railing came out to be less than what I got back on the return so I ended up with a net gain for the day. I am becoming less satisfied with those steps as they seem a bit wobblier than I like. I don't think the 2x2 supports under the steps are stable enough.


Today I loaded up what was left of the old porch and hauled it to the dump. All the unpainted wood went to people who will use it in some way, so there was just this carload of painted wood.

Here is the entrance to the transfer station. It is about a ten minute drive down the freeway from here. The truck ahead of me is on the scale, checking in at the window to find out where to take it. They weigh your vehicle on the way in and again on the way out and charge by weight with, I believe, a $20 dollar minimum. The white structure in the background is the big shed where I was to go.
The last of the old porch is on that big heap of scrap wood. There were a number of different heaps around the shed, with the constant rumble, crunching and beeping of a big machine scraping it up and moving it around. It smells like an elementary school lunchroom plus dust. It always reminds me of my old lunch box.

I worked on the big 2x10 boards which will form the top of the railing after I got home, sanding them smoother, priming them for painting and cutting them to fit. I promptly screwed one of them up in the cutting, and realized I needed a longer board to work with anyway so that's both bad and good.

No comments: