Wednesday, July 6, 2011

PORCH PROJECT - west steps

Yesterday I built the steps for the west end of the porch, something they don't seem to have had ever before. The west end, nearest to the driveway, was blocked by a railing, as shown in earlier PORCH PROJECT reports. It was possible to put things up on the railing and walk around to get them and take them into the house, but if it was a big box of heavy books, forget it. I am tall enough I could reach a bag of groceries over and set it on the porch floor but Donna couldn't. Here is where they needed to be. One thing Barron and I have discussed is where we will install our wheelchair ramps, and I have made that process much simpler by opening up this end of the porch.


Here is the plan. I screwed up the first diagonal I cut, as I thought might happen, but I had extra stock to work from for just that reason.

Nothing very exciting happened and I eventually ended up with this. After working in the blazing sun for too long you would think I'd have sense enough to quit but I also wanted to rebuild the front gate since I had everything set up for that sort of work and ended up making myself feel pretty lousy by the end of my labors. I am still recovering today. It didn't make it to 90 degrees but anything over 80 is pretty tough for me to take. The next stage is restoring the railing and cosmetic details.

No comments: